Combined Electrical were recently involved in a much needed upgrade and revival of St Mary’s Primary School in Darwin.
St Mary’s is Darwin’s oldest primary school and the only school within the Darwin CBD. The school is situated adjacent to St Mary’s Cathedral and was established in 1908. Until 2002 it was run by the Sisters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart.
The school’s history is incredible having survived the Darwin bombings of WWII where it was shaken badly when a bomb fell beside it. The school was closed down during WWII from 1942 until 1945. In 1967 the school was rebuilt and renamed St Mary’s Primary School. After surviving Cyclone Tracy, St Mary’s was the only Catholic primary school to function in Darwin during 1975.
Combined Electrical are honored to now be a part of the school’s story. Combined Electrical recently completed electrical, communications, and fire and security upgrades to the newly refurbished classrooms, including an enclosed outdoor space for the children.
This work was completed within a tight time frame and included interfacing with an operational school for a short duration of the project. Considerations were made for keeping the children safe throughout the works, movement of vehicles, equipment on site and a secure worksite were all priority.